[governance] new gTLDs

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Aug 22 12:21:39 EDT 2012

On 17/08/2012 21:33, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:

>     Just think of the scenario when Amazon owns .book, and mind you,
>     it is to be fully private. Unlike existing registries like .com
>     etc amazon will not even be obliged to sell second level domain
>     names under .book in the public market (protecting the
>     marketplace, huh!). Quite soon, amazon may change its name, or at
>     least its book division's name to .book... It will have a right
>     to, since it owns that particular symbol in a very special
>     way..... Remember, normal trademark etc law wont allow it to run
>     its business under the name 'book', because it will be considered
>     too generic a name, meaning it is pubic property (those good old
>     times when laws were made to protect the public!). But with
>     anexpedient routed through theICANN- that benefactor of the
>     powerful, Amazon can run its business under .book, the ownership
>     of which is 'established, or would certainly get established over
>     due course of use as everyone will know, of course .book  amazon
>     (and vice versa), are you kidding or what!
>
> This is an excellent point. The At Large community that represent and
> look out for the interests of ordinary internet users have been
> robustly engaging in discussions and also receiving feedback and
> comments from its members on this very same issue and also on
> "Amazon's" application of  .book. It will also be great if you could
> post your comments to the At Large list as I think I have seen you
> reply to one of the mailing lists there so that the views are
> captured. Membership of At Large is open to all and you can find out
> how to join as an Accredited At Large Structure (ALS). In the Asian
> Australasian Pacific region, to join the At Large, has to be through
> an ALS. It is one things to object here but it is far more impacting
> to raise your concerns with ICANN through the appropriate mechanism
> process available to the public to comment. I suspect that you may
> have done this already and if you have, then please ignore this comment.

Thanks Sala -- and I note a lot of ICANN bashing is always taking place
outside of ICANN.
Rather than venting about the failings of an organization, I invite
everyone to start working using the tools that this organization is
providing to improve it.
Today, many women and men from around the world are working hard to
improve ICANN by bringing the voice of the Internet user into the ICANN
processes.
Whether it's via the NCUC or via the ALAC, there are never enough
volunteers to engage into all of what is going on simultaneously.

ICANN works on a multi-stakeholder model. It is an operational
multi-stakeholder model. It is our responsibility to make it work. Your
responsiblity, IGC members. Everyone's responsibility.
So when the US government writes to ICANN that it has not done enough
outreach to let everyone comment, I take it as a failure not only of
ICANN, but of each and everyone of us, who are in the know, to have
informed our local communities.
Because if ICANN does not work, then the multi-stakeholder model *does
not work in practice* and if that's the case, we can just hand the
Internet over to governments & the UN to run, go home & enjoy our lives,
never needing to ever post again on the IGC Governance list.

Kind regards,

Olivier
(in a personal capacity)