[governance] Google Wi-Fi gaffe breached Privacy Act

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Aug 22 10:46:18 EDT 2012

In message <1345602466.50501.YahooMailNeo at web125103.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>,
at 19:27:46 on Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com>
writes
>    Google Analytics breaks Norwegian privacy laws, local agency said
>    http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/434164/google_analytics_
>breaks_norwegian_privacy_laws_local_agency_said/#closeme
>
>    'Google Australia must destroy Street View data: Privacy
>Commissioner'
>    http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/432980/google_australia_
>must_destroy_street_view_data_privacy_commissioner_/#closeme
>
>“I do not require Google to retain the additional payload data and,
>unless there is a lawful purpose for its retention, Google should
>immediately destroy the data

What's interesting about these two technologies is they don't
[currently] seek permission from the public. As opposed to applications,
and platforms like Android, where permissions can and are being
routinely sought - although I'm sure almost everyone pays as much
attention as they do to online T&C).

You may have seen the fuss about cookies (in general) in Europe at the
moment - unless "strictly necessary" (whatever that means) websites are
supposed to seek permission, but as usual the law only applies to
servers in the EU.
--
Roland Perry