[governance] People's Daily of China: US must hand over Internet control to the world

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Aug 22 03:29:47 EDT 2012

On 22.08.12 01:35, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
> Dear Daniel,
>
> On 21/08/2012 21:53, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
>> Having said that, those countries concerned should be prepared even
>> for non-malicious failures. Imagine some huge natural disaster hits
>> North America and wipes out the USA from the face of Earth. Yet, say,
>> China remains ok. Whose failure would be if the Chinese Internet
>> suddenly stops functioning?
> I don't see your point. The root is now mirrored in more places than I
> can count.
> http://www.root-servers.org/
>
> The Chinese Internet would continue functioning. F, I J and L servers
> are mirrored in Beijing. A, F, I, J in Hong Kong.

My point is that the Internet and in particular the DNS root server
system functions despite anything the US Government (or any other
country, for that matter) may chose to do, or not do.

What "countries" could do, if they care, about the root DNS servers
being available in their country is to ensure they have reasonable
disaster recovery plans in place. Having local root server instances is
one of these.

Daniel