[governance] People's Daily of China: US must hand over Internet control to the world

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Aug 21 15:13:44 EDT 2012

Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> Please read the IANA report you give a link to. For example "The .IQ
> ccTLD was never active."
> > http://www.iana.org/reports/2005/iq-report-05aug2005.pdf

I'm a bit cautious about taking that at face value because
(1) I have seen plenty of assertions that I know to be false in
reports of governance bodies.
(2) No source is given for the "never" aspect of this information. It
is stated however that the one person who would know with
definitiveness could not be reached for comment.
(3) Kieren McCarthy's article in The Register contains assertions which
in my understanding contradict the claim that "the .IQ TLD was never
active".
>>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/04/09/iraq_its_domain/>

> It was re delegated in 2005.  The news article claims "During the Iraq
> War, the U.S. government in 2003 asked ICANN to terminate services
> relating to Iraq’s top-level domain name “.iq” "  The timing's wrong.
> And at the time we were in the middle of WSIS, we were developing the
> civil society position (still stands I hope) against unilateral
> control of the root. At the time a lot of people were following this.

I do not doubt that that Chinese propaganda article is wrong on many
details, and I do not doubt that IANA handled the redelegation request
with the correct result.

What I'm unsure about is whether or not the US government had caused
earlier, by means of arresting of the person who was in charge of
the .iq ccTLD, any .iq websites, email addresses, or other services in
active use for actual communication purposes between humans, to become
unavailable.

If no such human-to-human communications were actually adversely
affected, then the Chinese propaganda is IMO wrong in a much stronger
sense than otherwise.

Greetings,
Norbert