[governance] People's Daily of China: US must hand over Internet control to the world

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Aug 21 14:03:46 EDT 2012

Dominique,

On Aug 21, 2012, at 7:28 AM, Dominique Lacroix <dl at panamo.eu> wrote:
> Karen McKarthy, generally very well informed, wrote in 2003:
> " It is difficult to track back in the past what domains may have existed since the entire domain is now down and has been for some time. However, Internet and telecoms consulting firm TeleGeography claimed in January 2002 that there were 225 owners of .iq domains."
>
> She

While Kieren may be many things, he is not a she (:-)).

> also says that the manager Bayan Elashi never paid any fee to ICANN.

Most likely true, like the majority of other ccTLD administrators to this day I believe.  ccTLD contributions are voluntary and IANA staff are unaware whether anyone has paid anything (or signed any agreements).

> Some army tanks (sent by George W. Bush or Saddam Hussein) may be as efficient as ICANN in order to scare ISP, registrars and site creators.

Yes, but unless things have changed a bit since I left, ICANN doesn't control any tanks.

> But what ICANN-IANA did exactly between Bayan Elashi's imprisonment and the effective redelegation?

Nothing. IANA does not do anything unless asked by the TLD administrator (the ancient .HT case discussed a while back notwithstanding).

> And why the correct details are not in the IANA report?

My guess (informed by the Kieren's comment "the entire domain is now down and has been for some time") would be that the .IQ name servers went offline/were misconfigured such that by the time the .IQ redelegation occurred, the .IQ name servers were not providing answers so any .IQ second-level domains would not show up on the Internet.

Regards,
-drc