[governance] People's Daily of China: US must hand over Internet control to the world

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 08:23:43 EDT 2012

 From anecdotal reports I have heard about the Germans, Swiss, etc, the
talk was that one can develop one's one structure in the event of a
failure (particularly if there is the now discounted single point of
failure), abuse or national whim. This option is real for countries that
have both capabilities and resources. All others are however subject to
rules that may or may not be in their interest. Some of us are not
miserly with the  conjuncture of interests of less well resourced
countries and those seeking to challenge US hegemony.

On politics, I am not sure I understand the allusions in the context
they are made. Asserting a 'don't fix what's not broken' is ALSO
politics (I remain unconvinced by arguments that technical and politics
are seperate, as does Lessig in principle) - if but a power maintenance
rather a power grab view. So as an exposition it is rather empty, and
used previously to stifle debate that challenges power maintenance.

The (ex/)implicit point being, this is just politics, it is irrelevant
as there is 'no problem'. On this list we have a range of views (my
characterisation, and probably faulty) from Status Quoist (of various
shades, some technical, other Exceptionalism, etc) through to
anti-Statist (in a Leviathan monster kind of way, or liberal - not
American, but continentalist) and radical autonomist (like no need for
government in this sphere - can be read as anti-Statist, but seems to be
determined by the potential of the technology - not suggesting
techno-determinism but not excluding it either) as well as a South view
(not homogenous, and picking the strand I prefer - IT4C) that is
critically engaged (sometimes I get the feeling that Mueller is more
radical than Parminder in conception - although it can just be my
reading of how to get from here to there... i.e. strategy vs tactics)
working with what is there to decolonise the transformative/evolutionary
imagination (although it stands out for less deference to creationism
than some of the "evolutionary" arguments presented here).

So, in short, the politics of the "don't fix what ain't broke" is pro-US
DOC ultimate control. And we see, the proponents of this view are
powerful but struggle to engage on the legitimacy issue. Some
sophistication is in the offing, but I remain of the view that it
remains hard to find good help these days to defend the indefensible
(from a legitimacy point of view) ... and I am sure that better
arguments could be put forward (at least in this space)... and the only
inference I can make about this is (in my limited understanding) "why
bother"...