[governance] People's Daily of China: US must hand over Internet control to the world

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Aug 21 08:23:28 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 21 August 2012 05:27 PM, Daniel Kalchev wrote:

snip

> 2. Internet is an open network of private networks. Each private
> network operator can do and actually does what their own agenda
> suggests (such as, in China's case -- implement the Great Firewall).
> There is nothing in the design of "Internet" that has any provision
> for "countries" and therefore "countries" are not an defined party in
> the Internet. This includes the USA.
> (I know, this sounds harsh, but truth is always this way)

What holds as the ideal is your mind is obviously not the real Internet
that operates. For instance, US courts can decide which gtlds are
allowed and which not as per US law and/or dictate the terms of registry
agreement (do you refute this). This is of course apart from the fact
that no change in the root can be made without US gov's express
authorisation.... The Internet that I use in India has the properties as
indicated. Which Internet are you referring to, Daniel..... And so
strange that you refer to 'harsh truth' while making such an entirely
fantastical statement that no country - including the US is 'an defined
party in the Internet'.

parminder