[governance] Negotiating Values in a Global Infrastructure

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 15:02:11 EDT 2012

Philosophy determines how a community or nation shapes or crafts its laws
and how subscribers to that community develop a world view. With Internet
Governance, the challenge of governance, particularly when hearing a
diverse plethora of views from all over the world makes it incumbent on
stakeholders to discuss how these values are going to be negotiated.

I was thinking of the Iceberg where the visible is 10% and the invisible is
90%. In weaving and navigating through the maze, it is my personal view
that in addressing the 10% without managing the 90% is recipe for disaster,
case in point, the glorious magnificent ship touted to be "unsinkable".
Lessons that I draw from the Iceberg is the need to understand the
magnitude of the 90% that whilst is not visible is lurking.

The manner in which views are prioritised will reflect the philosophy
behind the decisions. So the question is what should that philosophy
encompass. What values etc?

The first one that I would like to suggest is:-

   - Global public interest [although I am not sure whether this is an
   objective or a value] Inherent within is the notion of consideration for
   others etc.