[governance] Tangential (On Exceptionalism Wikileaks) America's vassal acts decisively and illegally

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Aug 20 08:22:58 EDT 2012

On Aug 20, 2012, at 3:53 AM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps if there was some "balance" then ANYONE arguing for "American Exceptionalism" on this list should also be chastised - otherwise it is a double standard. Those who cannot at once criticise the Assange discussion and arguments for American Exceptionalism is taking a POLITICAL position imho. And for me ONLY a negative inference can be made from this regarding their values/ethical position as far as issues that concern governance is concerned, since appeal must be made to reason not emotions.
>
> American Exceptionalism, which is implicit in the CHOICE of supporting the Status Quo of current Internet Governance arrangements ON THIS LIST, was raised and needs to be interrogated.

I suspect I shall regret entering this discussion, but I must disagree with the
assertion contained in above sentence, specifically:

  "American Exceptionalism, which is implicit in the CHOICE of supporting the
   Status Quo of current Internet Governance arrangements ON THIS LIST,"

For some of us, the choice of supporting the current status quo in Internet Governance
arrangements is predicated on lack of a clear alternative which may be assessed on its
benefits and merits, and a need to keep the Internet operational in the meantime.  I likely
would support the status quo in Internet Governance of critical Internet resources even
if it were anchored in a contract with Cthulhu, or at least until such time as a proposal for
change came along which provided clear benefits and had a reasonable chance of transition.

(Personally, the concept of any government exceptionalism seems to ignore the inherent
nature of governments.)

FYI,
/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone.  I disclaim that they add any value, so please do not try
to tax them.