[governance] Google Wi-Fi gaffe breached Privacy Act

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Aug 20 01:42:03 EDT 2012

In message
<1345412728.69845.BPMail_low_noncarrier at web125103.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>,
at 14:45:28 on Sun, 19 Aug 2012, Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com>
writes
>What about the information recording of all Users of Google Apps' that also includes;
>Geo location,
>Client System ID,
>Location,
>Network, IP
>Credit Card Numbers
>WiFi, SSID, (Hot spot)
>Search Logs and Communication
>Full access to PIM Data,
>Bluetooth Connections,
>GPS location,
>Media and Images stored on Mobile Device
>Communication and Contact Links
>etc.

Most of those have probably been acquired after asking the consumer's
permission. I know, for example, that Google sends me regular reminders
that I have geolocation enabled on a smart phone (that I use to research
these kinds of issue).

Credit card numbers are public information (although many USA-ians
behave as if they are a secret shared only by them and everyone they
ever bought something from) and the US Department of Justice currently
seems to consider anything transmitted from a wifi point is public
information as well (so if you don't want anyone in earshot to listen,
use encryption or a wired connection instead).

Search logs are a rather wider subject that deserves a thread all of its
own. Although once again, the informed user will know that searches are
being saved because it's one of the ways that future searches are made
more relevant and accurate.
--
Roland Perry