[governance] Tangential (On Exceptionalism Wikileaks) America's vassal acts decisively and illegally

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Sun Aug 19 17:59:29 EDT 2012

Leaving aside Adam's worry about which issues should be discussed here
(and I think this is theme is directly related to Internet governance,
as the network made viable the massive spread of info of which Wikileaks
was the prime messenger, and this is part of freedom of expression and
access to information over the net which is central to our rights-based
debate), and as an asylum seeker in 1973 in Chile when I had, with my
family, to seek refuge in the Panamanian embassy to escape Pinochet's US
driven coup: I have to say that the blood-thirsty general adhered to the
UN principles and let us out of Chile with full protection of its
military from the Panamanian embassy to the airport.

The Uk nowadays is not even capable of doing this in the Assange case,
who has not been charged, whose supposed "sex violations" in Sweden
include a girl who provided services for the CIA (strange coincidence,
right?), and whose real "guilt" is in being a messenger -- as I said
somewhere these days, Daniel Ellsberg during the Nixon era with Tony
Russo were high-level employees of Rand and NASA, not simple privates
like Manning, and were responsible for gathering and distributing the
Pentagon papers to the NYT. Far "worse", if you wear the US
establishment glasses, than Assange.

I am really amazed at how low the UK has gone in this, not to speak of
Australia, which in this situation unconditionally bows to the USA
forgetting that Assange is a citizen of Australia.

Whatever his personal style and private doings, Assange cannot be
condemned for being a messenger, and ought to be granted the obvious
international right to asylum. Or the UK would become like one more of
those little governments which are even worse than the Pinochet regime.
Well, the Cameron regime (can I say this?) had already proposed full
censorship of networks during recent popular mobilizations in the
country, what else to expect?

frt rgds

--c.a.