[governance] Tangential (On Exceptionalism Wikileaks) America's vassal acts decisively and illegally

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 23:55:59 EDT 2012

Snip....

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> Two things:
>
> 1. Has anyone looked into or analyzed what the ground is in that
> Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act of 1987 on which the UK
> authorities are basing their argument and decision? and how is that
> act supposed to relate to the Vienna Convention of 1961?

This is the "fail safe" option or the last resort. However, for the UK to
do that for a "sexual misconduct" investigation is like using a
sledgehammer to crack a peanut and the political ramifications are
tremendous because it goes beyond just Sweden, Ecuador and the UK but it
will also not inspire confidence within the diplomatic community. It
follows then that whilst options are available, they are available within a
highly volatile context that if not handled carefully could spin off and
have other catastrophic impact on other key areas in relations.

Snip..

> 2. It might be a little too late for anyone to be able to disentangle
> possible political motivations from these legal procedures (in UK and
> Sweden). The party that appears the most obscure to me in terms of
> their true motivation and intent is the Swedish judiciary,
> surprisingly. To my recollection, the charges of sexual misconduct
> were dropped at some point and a while thereafter they were taken up
> again by another (higher?) level of the judiciary in Sweden.
> Troubling.

Troubling indeed.