[governance] Google Wi-Fi gaffe breached Privacy Act

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 15:49:50 EDT 2012

Dear Sala,
>Breach of privacy (when caught) = apology

As the case of Google settled a case by paying $00m and become the owner of the IP/copyright material of its users.

>A few key governance issues come to mind (especially when one thinks of what Marilia had raised about Facebook and arbitrarily taking down pictures)

Everyone has a minimal right of the protection of his privacy when s/he is browsing anonymously, he has protection of knowing others that who is he, what he is doing.

But suddenly lost his rights when s/he use Google Apps or even Google Search engine. Why?

>Who should the the likes of multinational organizations like Google, Facebook be answerable to?

>Is there a basic minimum standard of acceptable behavior or does it differ with jurisdictions?

These big organizations has influence on legislation and policy development process directly or indirectly.

Google anti-SOPA/PIPA
petition shows 4.5m vote.

>Do we just leave it to the countries to deal with these multinationals such as in the case of Germany when they rebuked Facebook for the "like" feature or in India with Vinay Rai when he took Google, Facebook to the New Delhi High Court to get them to take down obscene publications or in the case of Australia as described in the link that Imran sent?

I suggest that this governance issue must be discussed on global forum (instead of leaving this policy making process by countries individually), and to provide guidance a statement should be released in favor of the Global Internet Users Community, (the public) and should try to bring these big organizations on a dialogue table to negotiate with them to change their Anti-Privacy activities.

Regards

Imran