[governance] new gTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Aug 18 03:28:20 EDT 2012

On Saturday 18 August 2012 12:06 PM, parminder wrote:
> Milton
>
> You know that this a debate over higher level principles/issues, so we
> can have a discussion on them if you want.

Milton

One of the most problematic characteristics of the online ecology and
its influence on our societies is the unprecedented globally
monopolistic possibilities and positions that are shaping up.... Google
tells us that it will organise the world's knowledge for us, Facebook
positions itself as 'the' world's online interacting place, Twitter as
'the' world's instant distributed media, Microsoft as 'the' document,
itunes as 'the' music store................

This is very unprecedented. Such a thing has never happened before. And
many people consider it very dangerous (including adherents of the
original Adam Smith's creed of a 'really' free market). It threatens all
kinds of rights of the people.... for the first time, monopoly
corporates are seeking to represent and service entire aspects of our
social living, and social systems, and in the process, insidiously,
increasingly determine these aspects.

In any earlier time, any such monopoly would have been nipped in the
bud. We all know the exemplary role of US regulatory authorities that
made both, first the telecom, and then the software, revolutions
possible. However, today, we face a unique structural problem of
national regulatory efforts not being able to be effective vis a vis an
inherently global phenomenon of the Internet. The one jurisdiction that
still has enough political leverage - the US - will not do what is
needed to be done becuase it plans to ride its digital behemoths to
continued and increased global domination.... And so, we are struck in a
fix, of monumental historic and socio-political significance....

This is the framing of the original problem that many share. Now, if you
have no sympathy at all with it, there is no point in us moving forward
to the specific issue of new gtlds..... If at all, we have to discuss
the above framing, and its basis.

However, in the unlikely case that you do have some sympathy for the
above framing, then the issue is that:

We should realise that the new round of gltds is more about private
gtlds than new public gtlds, which as, McTim claims, are necessary to
increase the competitiveness of the gltd market. Or even if we agree the
new process is separately about both -*the critique here refers ONLY to
private gtlds, that its owners are under no obligation to sell second
level domain names in the open market as was obligatory for instance for
.com and other existing gtlds.*

We all know that google, apple and amazon are not seeking to enter
domain name business. They are trying to buy gltds to buttress their
respective businesses. So, we need to see what they are planning to do,
and whether it serves public interest.

Going back to the original framing of unprecendented monopolies in the
digital age that seek to represent and service entire aspects of our
social living/ systems, which we may (or may not) agree is a 'problem',
what better for these monopolies than to get exclusive rights to key
terms of the language representing key civilisational ideas/ concepts,
like .book, .beauty, .love, .school, .music, .film, .document and so on.
It simply and directly buttresses their already problematic monopolistic
positioning vis a vis our private and public social lives, something
many  of us do not want to get corporatized as it is on the anvil of
being. That is the goldmine that google et all see in the sale of
private gltds.

Also, in an reverse impact, as these corporates already dealing with the
idea/ concept that is embodied in the linguistic term being claimed, as
Loreal with .beauty, Amazon with .book, etc, they begin to strongly
influence, and then to some extent determine, cultural connotations of
these terms, of course in a manner tuned to their narrow commercial
advantages (and to hell, with the social impact). And this is no science
fiction stuff - we all know that big brands already seek to do it, and
often do it rather successfully. Therefore, of course, such nefarious
designs will not get instituted for the first time with private gtlds -
the question is, *how much push would private gtlds give to such designs
and efforts, how much a new class of clear and substantial advantage do
they bring to such problematic efforts.* How does this problem vis a vis
pulbic interest weigh against any specific benefit of having private
gltds at all (about which I havent heard much in the present debate).

It is in this background that we have to assess the public interest
implications of new gtlds..... But if you think all this is pure humbug,
well, then, that is were we stand. But please dont accuse other people
of 'not thinking deeply'. Maybe it is the social depth of your thinking
that is in question :).

parminder