[governance] Watch "'Real Arab Spring in Bahrain which West ignores'" on YouTube

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 03:05:56 EDT 2012

Thank you Fouad for the link. It was interesting to see the Analyst's
perspective on different treatment of the West which he points to the US's
position on Syria and Bahrain.  Not too long ago, we watched in horror as
the Syrian Government through its army was shooting its own civillians and
it appears from the link that Fouad sent, that the same is happening in
Bahrain.

i find interesting the decision by the UN SG Ban Ki-moon and League of Aab
States SG on the appointment of a new Joint Special Representative for
Syria. It would be great to try to get Lakhdar Brahimi to the Arab IGF to
talk about the pursuit of an end to the conflict in Syria.

I also hope the people of Bahrain attend the Arab IGF or at least
representatives. I know that ISOC has a chapter in Bahrain and they have
royalty as a patron. It will be great for our civil society who are present
in the Arab IGF to skillfully weave a workshop and help encourage dialogue
and diplomacy on why it is critical for the Internet to remain open and
free. It was around May this year, when I was in Washington DC that I had
met with an Iranian activist in the IGC who shared with me how the Iranian
government was deliberately slowing internet access for ordinary people so
that they could not access things like facebook etc.

Without a doubt there needs to be awareness of the governance aspects and
multiple issues and maybe help convince people that the internet is a way
also that you can get communities to partner with government. A place where
they are not threatened by criticism. When people are suppressed this over
time boils and simmers and finds a way to spill into what we have seen as
"uprisings or revolutions". I was very impressed with a saying that I saw
at the US Federal Court of Appeals and can't remember what it said "word
for word" except that it was something along the lines that the State or
government must be quick to act against itself before the people...and I
remember thinking how lucky the US was to have that philosophy so engrained
within their culture because there are many parts of the world where this
is not so.

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Caught this news footage from RT that may inspire food for thought at the
> ArabIGF. I haven't edited the subject line as its posted by RT:
>
> http://<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5BIIEx1srI&feature=youtube_gdata_player>
> www.youtube.com<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5BIIEx1srI&feature=youtube_gdata_player>
> /watch?v=<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5BIIEx1srI&feature=youtube_gdata_player>
> o5BIIEx1srI<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5BIIEx1srI&feature=youtube_gdata_player>