[governance] new gTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Aug 17 11:11:18 EDT 2012

I am honoured to agree with the US Congressional judicial committee that
ICANN is sitting on the top of a major screw up. Those - and I am
surprised that most civil society members here are rather unconcerned -
who dont yet see that this is going to be a major screw up will soon
know better...

I especially agree that ICANN has done practically nothing to get
*informed* comments from outside the largely compliant ICANN community
on an issue that implicates just everyone, who deals with language and
ideas that is.

However, while the US gov has come on the side of ensuring 'a secure
stable marketplace' basically to defend the rights of trademark owner
which we know are rich people, I do hope some governments - since the
involved civil societyseems not willing - comes on the side of ensuring
'a secure stable public-place'. By it I mean a public-place from where
our commonly owned words (with all the cultural significances they hold)
like love, kid, book, school etc  cannot be plucked out and handed over
to some business houses as private property.

When 'trademarks' allow exclusive rights over some words to some private
parties in very clearly limited contexts, and with so many
pre-conditions, caveats etc, how can a private body simply hand over the
*globally* exclusive use of generic words, with no trademark claim to
them either, to private parties just on the highest bid !!?
Interestingly, while no legal basis for such exclusivity is employed, a
very privileged exclusivity is provided through control over the
architecture that ICANN has. A very good instantiation of the maxim 'in
the digital space, architecture if policy'. Such control was given to
ICANN on public trusteeship. It has violated that trusteeship. This is
unacceptable. This is loot of public property, facilitated by the
employed trustee.

Just think of the scenario when Amazon owns .book, and mind you, it is
to be fully private. Unlike existing registries like .com etc amazon
will not even be obliged to sell second level domain names under .book
in the public market (protecting the marketplace, huh!). Quite soon,
amazon may change its name, or at least its book division's name to
.book... It will have a right to, since it owns that particular symbol
in a very special way..... Remember, normal trademark etc law wont allow
it to run its business under the name 'book', because it will be
considered too generic a name, meaning it is pubic property (those good
old times when laws were made to protect the public!). But with
anexpedient routed through theICANN- that benefactor of the powerful,
Amazon can run its business under .book, the ownership of which is
'established, or would certainly get established over due course of use
as everyone will know, of course .book is amazon (and vice versa), are
you kidding or what!

I am sure with some proven use and exclusivity, trademark authorities
will also be compliant... As the world, especially in the use of
language, goes mostly digital, we hand over our common property, the
idea and the word, 'book', to a private company.... and then it is the
turn of 'kid', 'love', 'cloud', .baby, .book, .eat, .family, .film,
.home,  .movie, .music, .search, .beauty, .school................ one
never knows were it will end, or why should it end at all!

I am completely lost as to what public interest does all this serve?
Isnt ICANN there to serve public interest! Why couldnt we stick to
relatively meaningless three alphabet gtlds like .com, .org and such,
and, being most important, making it incumbent upon the registries to
sell second level domains in the open market on a non discriminatory
basis?? Why has ICANN taken upon itself to further privatise anything
and everything that conceivably can be privatised and perpetual rents
extracted for the benefit of the most powerful, in the true spirit of
the resplendent neoliberal march.

I really hope those outside the wunderworld of ICANN would take this
issue up in the right earnest.. I suspect, the storm would start brewing
soon. I cant see how ICANN, and its compliant ICANN community, will be
allowed to get away with this absolute loot of our common cultural
heritage. I think this time ICANN has bitten off too much.....

parminder