[governance] ITU definition of "telecommunication" and importance of "Best Bits"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Aug 17 09:38:16 EDT 2012

Sala <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
> > My main point is about "clarifying" that the ITRs apply only to
> > classical telecommunication services (including the cases when
> > classical telecommunication services are provided over the
> > Internet, or when Internet access is provided via a variant of
> > classical telecommunication services, as is the case e.g. with DSL
> > services) but not including ICTs and the Internet in general.
>
> The term telecommunications has evolved [..] There are several
> countries who have expansive definitions for "Telecommunications".

Yes, I'm quite aware of this. My suggestion that, contrary to this
trend, a limiting definition of "telecommunication" should be included
in the ITRs is because this is the only way that I can see to

(1) avoid continuation of the blatant discrepancy between what the ITRs
say and today's reality (by removing from the declared scope of
the ITRs the part of reality to which the provisions of the ITRs are
not applicable ), and to

(2) prevent the ITU from gradually but continuously increasing its
power over Internet governance without any real public interest
representation, and without any real checks and balances.

Greetings,
Norbert