[governance] Pre-announcement of "Best Bits", 3-4 November, Baku, Azerbaijan

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Aug 17 04:38:12 EDT 2012

This is a "save the date" notice for a gathering on Internet governance
and Internet rights in Baku, Azerbaijan on November 3-4 ahead of the
global IGF, titled "Best Bits".  This will be an advocacy-focused event
designed for sharing knowledge and collaborating on tangible outputs.
It arose from discussions of a diverse group of North and South based
experts held at the Asia-Pacific Regional IGF.

You can download a short document which gives more details about the
motivation for the event, the programme, and the expected outputs from
http://igf-online.net/bestbits.pdf.  For more information, you are also
invited to join the "Best Bits" mailing list at
http://lists.igcaucus.org/info/bestbits.  Specific details such as the
venue will be confirmed later.

The importance of this meeting for the IGC is that it is meant partly as
a bridge between our IGF/WSIS world and the US tech policy world,
leading to better informed, more effective, and more complementary and
consistent advocacy outcomes - though there is no intention to subsume
or supersede any existing work.  The other purpose is to produce
specific outputs, including the long-planned civil society statement of
principles for the IGF, and a slightly different one to WCIT.

If you plan to attend, please let me know off-list - this is just for
planning purposes, as a formal registration form will come later.

If you would require any assistance with travel expenses, a very limited
fund may be available courtesy of Google to assist certain individuals
with specific skillsets who will contribute to the meeting by way of
moderating, presenting, helping to prepare briefing documents, or
working on the zero-draft texts that are to be discussed and finalised
at the meeting.  Those seeking support must let me know strictly within
1 week, ie. by 24 August 2012 at the latest.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*Your rights, our mission -- download CI's Strategy 2015:*
http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational