[governance] UN & Information Security

Fahd A. Batayneh fahd.batayneh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 17:02:17 EDT 2012

An interesting paper.

It mentions that "*With respect to military applications of information
technology, the US considered an international convention to be ‘completely
unnecessary’ as ‘the law of armed conflict and its principles of necessity,
proportionality and limitation of collateral damage already govern the use
of such technologies’*".

The report also states later on that "*After the first GGE process, the
dynamics of the First Committee discussions on international information
security changed considerably. Russia opened the resolution for
co-sponsorship, while the United States started voting against it in
subsequent years. Between 2005 and 2008 the US was the sole country to vote
against the Resolution that attracted co-sponsors during the same time*".

It goes on to say that "*Recommendations also met the request of several
nations to elaborate common terms and definitions relevant to the
Resolution. Further, information exchange on national legislation and
national ICT security strategies, policies and best practices were
recommended as well as identification of measures to support
capacity-building in less developed countries*"

And we all wonder why there is no proper solution to cyber-security...

Fahd