[governance] Re: [Arab IGF] ICANN to get $8 Million More from New .com Deal

Fahd A. Batayneh fahd.batayneh at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 15:25:13 EDT 2012

Thank you Alejandro.

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch <
apisan at unam.mx> wrote:

>  Fahd,
>
>  I'll try to be brief and objective in replying:
>

> Alejandro, while I have no negative stance against the ICANN board or any
> board member in particular, there remains two unanswered questions for me:
>
>    1. How did the board approve .xxx while the community was against it.
>
> The Board I served on rejected it.

I know that .xxx was under debate for almost 10 years, and it cost millions
of USD in legal trials.

>  The decision-review process which .xxx won leaves very little room to do
> other than allowing .xxx to go forward.
>
>  What do you think would have been a worse outcry against ICANN? for
> going forward following its established rules, or for going against them?

True. In fact, some claim that .xxx was approved to push forward with the
New gTLD program.

>    1. How did the board approve the New gTLD program while many answers
>    and concerns were unanswered. Even after the program was launched, the "TAS
>    glitch" caused lots of controversy. Even worst, ICANN is talking about the
>    next New gTLD round (initially planed for 2013) when current issues have
>    not been resolved yet.
>
> What makes things even worst is that many board members (in their capacity
> as employers of their respective firms) benifited their respective
> employers with the approval of the New gTLD program.
>
>  AP: this blank statement is wrong. A number of people who would have
> been in that situation recused themselves from voting and even discussing
> the decisions of the new gTLD program that would have meant a benefit for
> them or their employers.

You might want to get a brief on the finances of ICANN SVSF meeting and the
speech given by Bill Clinton; i.e., who funded the meeting that ICANN was
unable to fund (unless the people who gave me these facts are liars).