[governance] Multiplication of virus cases built by and for states ...

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 17:35:33 EDT 2012

The other threads may have exhausted themselves by now but I'm seeing in this another area of possible interest from the perspective of "enhanced cooperation".  As I understand it in the area of viruses, worms etc.etc. there is a "spy vs. spy" syndrome at work... The "bad guys" (or seemingly in some cases "the good guys") launch something into the wild and then the opposite side moves forward to counter this and then the other side counters and so on and so on... This is all played out in the technical/security domain with the policy folks urging their side onward ever onward...

With these viruses as below (and including Stuxnet etc.) we seem to be moving into Sci Fi domains where one side (or the other)  is in a position to wreck catastrophe on the other side (and v.v.) with us helplessly sitting in the middle watching crucial infrastructure (electricity, water, digital communications etc.) being increasinly threatened with "executive action" i.e. assassination...

The need for global consolidated action at the policy/legal level is almost certainly the only way in which some modicum of security might be achieved (some sort of electronic version of the SALT treaty for example) particularly since the possibility (likelihood) of wildcard non-state actors being parties to the sabotage and thus making it in the interests of all state actors to achieve some measure of control in the area.

I have no idea what the solution might be here but I would expect that it would involve some considerable measure of technical intervention ("management of the Internet"?) combined with policy driven international state to state agreements presumably with the active involvement of both the technical and non-technical private sector and civil society (to try to keep the overall process "honest...

Perhaps rather than trying to square the circle of management of the inputs  (digital flows) it might be easier as a way into (or around) the Global Internet Governance area to look to manage for the outcomes since as we are beginning to realize if these go seriously awry they could quite easily affect the digital space and thus personal well-being of all of us rather more immediately and with greater damage than some of the other issue areas we have been discussing -- wherever we might reside -- assuming that we are all connected to the same Internet.

Comments?

Mike