[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Aug 10 08:37:34 EDT 2012

On Friday 10 August 2012 04:37 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Hi Parminder
>
> On Aug 10, 2012, at 12:10 PM, parminder wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> Before I engage with your surprisingly status quoist politics,
>
> I was clear that I don't advocate the SQ but was noting some of the
> barriers that can't just be wish away.  Please don't start with this
> kind of twisting things or it will go downhill quickly.

When someone says that anyone wanting a change has to "outline said
plausible alternative and why its risks/costs are less than the
certainties/benefits of the SQ", and carries on at length to show - as
most of your email does - that there isnt any clear demand for change,
and when that someone is not an appointed neutral referee or something
but a political player in the arena, then that person's politics is
legitimately called as status quoist. I stick to my position. In
politics, no one is neutral, either you agree to be in the status quo,
or you are sympathetic to talk of alternatives, and likely, have some in
your mind yourself.......

And when I did describe how alternatives have indeed been proposed,
unlike what you suggest, you are getting into nuances of those
alternatives, that are surely worth discussing, but here the only point
was - indeed, alternatives have been proposed, these cannot be called as
'non-plausible' even if one has differences with them....

And then you want 'evidence' from me that there indeed is support among
CS, governments, people etc... and to anything that can be mentioned in
this regard, your have responses that I can do little about. You say a
joint CS statement does not mean most people support this position - i
agree, it doesn’t 'prove' so, but what do you want me to do, hold an
referendum to satisfy you. You say developing countries may take
official positions but in private talks most officials confess to you
that they are really not interested. You say, you are not convinced how
inclusive and multi-stakeholder is the process of building country
positions..... which all may be true.... But that kind of unending
reasoning can be used to be sceptic of every position on anything,
whatever... the world is hardly close to being perfect. You seem to have
concluded - there isnt any real demand - even in the developing world -
for change in status quo.

You chose to believe those whom you speak in private etc, but these
other more open processes - joint CS statements, stated gov positions -
above do not meet your requirement of evidence.... You see, I cant do
much about that. But one thing is clear, that you seem to infer, and
want to infer, that there is not much demand for change in status quo
really in terms of CIR management. And you are satisfied with that
inference.

      Why not respond to what I was saying, rather than to what I
    wasn't?  (Bill)

I read you mostly to say, there isnt much demand for change. I found
most of the email being about it, and so my response.

    "Do you want to score points against imaginary enemies, or have a
    conversation about what would be required to effectively promote a
    change in the model?" (Bill)

We are not going to agree on who is trying to score points, but, well,
as I said I read your email mostly making the point that there is
insufficient evidence of demand for change. However, if the main point
was something else, i am happy to respond to it. You tell me what you
think "would be required to effectively promote a change in the model"
and we can go from there. (I have said it enough times already).

parminder