[governance] No internet administration without representation

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 05:05:34 EDT 2012

Parminder

Since the Indian Minister thread is "tired", I thought this might be
more apt for our convo as if others are not here... which is "open" to
others...

If we take an evolutionary perspective to change, and a political
economy  i.e. to achieve change necessarily means replacing a radical
view with one of reform - then the educative process on root servers was
useful, and is just a beginning of an issue that has been smothered time
and time again. What strikes me is how the elements of the technical
side have evolved, and how flexible some of the arrangements actually
are at some levels and how the technical arguments can be dialectically
used for the status quo (stability) and against it (flexibility,
anycast, etc). And as Conrad puts it, political agendas are fine if
there is precision - which is just what is needed.

On Drake and others, I think evolutionary change is precisely
experimental. As every general view needs to be refined until it
resolves itself into a crisp demand capable of legal or policy
rendering. There is not one conception of legitimacy, and it can begin
slowly (that is why some of the 'single root believers'/'anti CIR
discussion' case is belied by changes by ICANN et al made),. Arguments
against CIR legitimacy have come in many shades, ranging from you can't
have more than one root through to there are too many players to change
these matters through to "USA!USA! USA!"

Burying CIR as many wish to, based on a political judgement of
impossibility, has its merits (at the first IGF this was done with only
the BBCs Nick Gowing being allowed to raise the issue with none other
than Vint Cerf - at a non-binding forum) especially if it opens up
spaces to discuss other issues. Thomas has put forward a proposal that
may well be a starting point for keeping the issue of legitimacy of CIR
on the agenda. While the most dirty tricks have been played to detract
attention from this issue (which makes remarkable coincidence with those
whose political assessment is that change on this is impossible,
mentioned so that those who care to be sensitive and open can understand
and perhaps take some heed), a /process solution/ to keep the flame
burning allows a number of things. Others can then also work on
different issues of importance. And those with an interest in this
matter can pursue it. The only reservation I have is with the
reactionaries of the anti-legitimacy crowd (I desist from mob, after all
they seem not be part of the great unwashed if you get my drift ;) and
so you should plan accordingly including being morose/hard
ass/difficult/contrary/nice/abivalent/etc (Practically this would mean
that ALL processes/panels/discussions need not be "balanced" - that
there be space for broadening - discussions that are balanced - and
deepening - one sided discussions that take CIR governance as illegit,
or technical courses on architecture). Conrad especially, and others
even with whom you/we disagree, have shown not only generosity but
openness to engage and this at least is civil if robust. But perhaps
some of the marginals like Auerbach could be drawn back in as well -
this is quite essential, imho, if as a community we are to regard
ourselves as inclusive rather than merely likeminded with a few token
dissenters.

As we know, the danger here is that other issues will be used as Weapons
of Mass Distraction - a danger that one merely be aware of, perhaps in
the Chinese sense, you could allow them to save some face.

On saving face, I think here we need to let people ride in the front of
the bus so to speak. In these matters of political judgement, there are
simply forks in the road where we have to agree to disagree.  Many are
more comfortable with their own governments than with others, and issues
tend to be more contestable in the rich countries than in ours. However,
I think there is also some level of arrogance that goes with such views,
which should not be forgotten. And the people expressing them may not be
arrogant, but they need to be aware of context, so...

I do not think that USers often appreciate how dangerous Bush's
retrospective legislation on telecoms companies revealing data sans
court order was in legal terms (retrospectivity in law is quite an
exception) or that the PATRIOT act will only really end its reign until
the US signs a peace treaty with terrorism. Even on matters of
corruption, on everything from the derivatives scandals to LIBOR we see
that there are different forms of corruption/deceit/oppression
Southerners are country bumpkins when it comes to ripping stuff off
compared to Northerners (and by the way tax write offs for bribes to
South countries used to exist until very recently in the rich
countries): 23 trillion for bankers while Barofsky of TARP says the
government/Geithner was not interested in sorting out foreclosures or
helping home owners (which were about a 3 trillion problem in the US).
But some lessons one has to learn the hard way and no amount of talk or
data will make the case that some political oversight and contestability
in issues may not be a bad thing (a refrain often used on the poor
countries to improve their governance). I will not even go into
Wikileaks. I mention this not to pique differences, but merely to
highlight the point that if Southerners need to acknowledge the
governance problems then a double standard should not be applied when it
comes to the North. The ticket for participation in civil society is
reason, and so goose and gander stuff applies here... even if we
acknowledge that many things are better handled in the North (some
issues are simply acceptable unsayable as Drake points out CIR, or as
Friends of the Earth  on the US climate change/Kyoto Protocol - so there
are lots finicky politicking that needs also be acknowledged if
difference is taken seriously).

And it is not ONLY that something big and bad that is the problem - in
which MAD is a counterbalance. It is the subtle abuse that can creep
into the system (like potential misdirection based on resolve requests
timing as Auerbach points out, etc) - and like me, your experience in
civil society on these issues  does not need any instruction on how
corrosive subtle continual vilification, abuse, marginalisation can be -
and this can be the same for governance of CIR. This is NOT about
hypotheticals at all. It is about a resource that serves a global public
good function whose stability and development is in the public interest
- and even if people disagree (forks) a negative inference cannot be
made of those who raise legitimacy as public interest. Nor can any
claims to universalism be made that are definitive for either side. It
is contested, and therefore in civil society MUST be contestable.

  The essential problem always is, who guards the guardians. There are
two views here:

1) there is not the ability to guard - which is a valid proposition
(i.e. US will never do it, it is complicated, the operators will not
agree - all valid from some perspective or level of abstraction). And we
must do what we can. However there ought also to be space for those who
want Pessimism of the intellect (technicalities, precision) and optimism
of the will (no i-admin w/out reptn), suffices...

2) there is no interest /need to guard. These people usually indict
themselves imho as time flows...

Great stuff for the India Minister discussion and all who contributed...!

Peace

riaz