[governance] Re: [At-Large] gTLD Review Group decisions regarding the comments on objection grounds on the ".book" application by Amazon EU s.a.r.l

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 9 08:20:08 EDT 2012

On Thursday 09 August 2012 05:23 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2012, at 11:43, Dev Anand Teelucksingh wrote:
>
>> However, given the concepts raised regarding the availability of 2nd
>> level domains under gTLDs has policy implications that impacts
>> individual Internet end users, the gTLD RG recommends that the issues
>> raised be referred to the At-Large new gTLD Working Group
>> (https://community.icann.org/x/8Yoi) for discussion and possible
>> policy recommendations.
>
> Within the At-Large New gTLD Working Group, Evan has already asked that generic word private TLDs be added as an issue the ANgWG discuss further.  I am assuming this specific case can fall under that category.  Is that ok?

Yes, private tlds is by far the biggest issue/ problem with the new gtld
process. Thanks to anyone who is raising this issue. I
see no reason why private tlds should be allowed, and what public
interest is served by allowing them.

Some may make a case to allow private gltds for very well established
and proven trade marks or registered names, when the name is very
clearly exclusive, and unlikely to provide a new form of unfair monopoly
(like, maybe IBM). However, I dont see why even that may be so
necessary! But that is a relatively lesser issue. Private gltds using
generic names like .book must be an absolute NO...... I dont know how
any such proposal survived so many committee, reviews etc that may have
gone into the decision about new gtlds...

parminder