[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Aug 8 07:07:37 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 08 August 2012 01:45 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <50220972.8020108 at itforchange.net>, at 12:08:42 on Wed, 8
> Aug 2012, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
>
>> (1) Either, root operators can and will ONLY reflect the root zone
>> file in the 'stealth server', whatever happens - in which case, we
>> should not use the argument of their deemed independence in
>> discussions on problems vis a vis US's unilateral IANA oversight powers
>>
>> (2) Or, indeed, at least potentially, root operators can refuse to
>> publish what is considered as an improperly changed file by the US,
>> and support the internet system continuing to work on the basis of
>> the original 'proper' file - whereby, it is useful to redistribute
>> root server operator-ship among agencies that together are more
>> likely to resist US unilateralism.
>>
>> One of the above two must be true, and both cant be true
>
> Well, there are other possible scenarios that you haven't listed, but
> number (2) is much closer to the current situation than (1).

That would mean that it makes the system much more capture-resistant if
instead of the present distribution of root server operators, 9 in the
US and 3 in US friendly countries, we have these servers distributed in
a more geopolitically equitous manner - as I suggested, for a start RIRs
of Africa, LA and Asia Pacific get one each, and perhaps one more in
each of these continents at a reputed public technical institute. What
do you say?

Lets first agree on the need and desirability of such re-allocation,
before we go to the question how to do it.

parminder