[governance] In Interview, Romney Brings Arab Spring Into Presidential Race - NYTimes.com

Fahd A. Batayneh fahd.batayneh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:58:38 EDT 2012

Sala, it has become common norms to have Arab business in countries one
(especially Arab citizens) might never imagine existed. In my country
Jordan, there is a huge corruption scandal regarding a local phosphate
company that has been registered in an Eastern Asian island (do not want to
mention names here as means not to hurt citizens of that/those countries).
When the lid was un-covered, they claimed that the company was owned by
investors from those islands. After deep investigations, they found that
all investors were Jordanians that managed to buy the company from the
government (was owned by the government until the time it was sold) at a
discount price. The scandal involves really big names that have fled the
country.

Fahd