[governance] US will push for open markets, free expression at ITU meeting | ITworld

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 17:10:39 EDT 2012

> Looking at the ICANN website at http://www.icann.org/en/about/welcome,
> the term "*coordinate*" is used. However, as one reads on, it is
> mentioned that "*The world broadly accepts ICANN as the place to work out
> Internet governance policies*". I think this phrase is larger than
> ICANN's true size.

You are right.  The Internet Universe (note I am not using the ISOC term of
Internet Ecosystem to appease critics of ISOC on the list - as far as I
know this was coined by the South Koreans) has an entire host of players
and stakeholders that look after various policy areas and spaces. The work
of mapping Internet Governance done through the sponsorship of Consumers
International and Norbert Bollow highlights this important work see:
http://idgovmap.org/

What appears to be missing is how all stakeholders can work together as
netizens for the betterment of all - what is acceptable behaviour, what
does transparency look like. I think one of the things that is causing
nations and people to jump up and down is para 15 of the WGIG document
which reads *Unilateral control by the United States Government.*

Governments around the world have more power over their Registrars and
Resellers and can enforce things like mandatory Whois data.

ICANN is *limited* in the scope, see below.  ICANN does not govern the
Internet. It is not the place to work out Internet governance policies as
it only looks after a few of the policy areas identified in the WGIG 2005
Report [http://www.wgig.org/docs/WGIGREPORT.pdf see pages 5-8] It says so
too within the ICANN Articles of Incorporation, see excerpts below:

 In furtherance of the foregoing purposes, and in recognition of the fact
that the Internet is an international network of networks, *owned by no
single nation*, individual or organization, the Corporation shall, except
as limited by Article 5 hereof, pursue the charitable and public purposes
of lessening the burdens of government and promoting the global public
interest in the operational stability of the Internet by

(i) coordinating the assignment of Internet technical parameters as needed
to maintain universal connectivity on the Internet;

(ii) performing and overseeing functions related to the coordination of the
Internet Protocol ("IP") address space;

 (iii) performing and overseeing functions related to the coordination of
the Internet domain name system ("DNS"), including the development of
policies for determining the circumstances under which new top-level
domains are added to the DNS root system;

 (iv) overseeing operation of the authoritative Internet DNS root server
system; and

 (v) engaging in any other related lawful activity in furtherance of items
(i) through (iv).
4. The Corporation shall operate for the benefit of the Internet community
as a whole, carrying out its activities in conformity with relevant
principles of international law and applicable international conventions
and local law and, to the extent appropriate and consistent with these
Articles and its Bylaws, through open and transparent processes that enable
competition and open entry in Internet-related markets. To this effect, the
*Corporation shall cooperate as appropriate with relevant international
organizations*.

> Fahd
>
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Roland Perry <
> roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>
>> In message <CABBOhxpyKxepWsBFKH=**FMQnQCTVe-CUNyPhhtkcPJT6VO=KA_**
>> Q at mail.gmail.com <KA_Q at mail.gmail.com>>, at 14:11:03 on Fri, 3 Aug 2012,
>> Fahd A. Batayneh <fahd.batayneh at gmail.com> writes
>>
>>  The article mentions "Also at WCIT, Russia, China and other countries
>>> may push for the ITU to take Internet governance away from the Internet
>>> Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and other organizations"
>>>
>>> Another misconception! Since when did "ICANN and other Organizations"
>>> govern the Internet
>>>

>> They appear to me to govern the processes of issuing new TLDs and address
>> space, and policing some (but not all) kinds of abusive registration. So,
>> as ever, it depends what you mean by IG, and what others think they want to
>> 'take away' from existing stewards.
>> --
>> Roland Perry

>>      http://www.igcaucus.org/