IANA and what is to come 10 years hence? (was: Re: [governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still…))

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sun Aug 5 06:28:49 EDT 2012

On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:28 AM, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <1ADD48F6-FFA6-48ED-8992-4AA4B5C6932E at istaff.org>, at 19:40:00 on Fri, 3 Aug 2012, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> writes
>> Milton -
>>
>>  I don't see the USG making policy for DNS names or IP address management,
>>  and yet setting such policy was definitely done in long past by folks operating
>>  under USG contracts.  Policy development is now undertaken by multi-stakeholder
>>  participants in the community.  Are you aware of critical Internet resource policy
>>  being set by USG via its unique IANA contract relationship?
>
> There are several policy issues encapsulated in the IANA contract, that have not been through ICANN's traditional PDP. The most obvious being that IANA should be on US soil, but here are several others of that ilk.

Roland -

  Indeed, and there were even more such policy issues encapsulated
  back when the JPA was also operative.  Note, however, that these
  sorts of policy dictates via contract have been reduced over the
  20-plus year transition from direct contracting for these services
  to the more multi-stakeholder-based mechanisms for setting policy.

  The point was that this reduction in USG-directed policy would not
  have been possible if USG held to "a posture of total unwillingness";
  I did not mean to imply that there was not more work to be done, only
  that we should not shy away from considering how IANA should evolve
  under some misapprehension that the views of the global Internet
  community cannot have any impact in this matter.

/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone. No fiscal union is created by this email
message, and the value of this message may widely fluctuate over time.