[governance] US will push for open markets, free expression at ITU meeting | ITworld

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Aug 5 03:12:17 EDT 2012

In message
<CA+=oXBKpZ=xMUCfJgSA7_7hs_P47kXaQMDeV3GZcicVxZBdt4w at mail.gmail.com>, at
00:06:42 on Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Ivar A. M. Hartmann
<ivarhartmann at gmail.com> writes
>The problem is that free markets are increasingly hostile to free speech:
>when companies control the online fora and are left to discriminate speech
>at will we have a scenario that's arguably just as bad as an ITU-controlled
>internet.
>Sadly, because the prevailing notion in American law and politics is that
>only the state can violate human rights, such a problem will never get the
>proper framing.

Perhaps you are talking about the Human Right to freedom of expression?

There are several other Human Rights (eg life, freedom from slavery)
which are clearly applicable to non-state actors, and even the right to
privacy is generally extended to acts by persons and companies, as well
as the state (see for example the EU's Data Protection Directive, which
applies to all).
--
Roland Perry