IANA and what is to come 10 years hence? (was: Re: [governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still…))

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Aug 3 09:30:55 EDT 2012

On Aug 2, 2012, at 10:28 PM, Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2012 6:29 AM, "John Curran" <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
>
> > After all, the USG has seen the transition from top-down formal contracting for these
> > functions to a more open bottom-up multi-stakeholder management of critical Internet
> > resources, including the decentralization of IP address management to the RIRs, the
> > formation of ICANN, and replacement of the JPA with the Affirmation of Commitments.
>
> Who knows this?  Who understands this?  How many people know that it takes no more than $3k to mirror the ICANN root server? A few among the few thousand ICANN / IG / RIR / ISOC participants. In a world of sensational headlines on unilateral control of the root, all these positive goodness is buried in fine print.  The gestures I have talked about would be a visible, graphic answer to the bad headlines.

If you are suggesting the USG needs some help in doing PR with regards to its positive
steps in Internet Governance over the last two decades, I would not argue with that...
> > None of the above would have been possible coming from "a posture of total unwillingness"...
>
> So it appears to the common man, or made to appear to the common man in a carefully archestrated propaganda of misleading 'headlines'  that appears to me to be a psychological campaign with carefully calculated omissions.

Indeed.  I believe that some actively obscure or misrepresent the USG track record in
facilitating decentralization of Internet Governance since inception of the Internet.  Like
many things in this world, it is not perfect, but I do believe that has been an enabler of
discussion of open and transparent multi-stakeholder governance which might easily not
have otherwise occurred.
> >> As an answer to all these undesirable distractions, why not offer a glimpse of what is to come 10 years or less or more later ?
> >

> > Why should we presume that such a roadmap should come from the USG, as opposed
> > the Internet community itself?
>
> :-)

Thanks for raising this important topic!
/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone.  Email written at higher altitudes may lack coherence;
use at your own risk.