[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 16:06:35 EDT 2012

On 2012/08/02 09:47 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> Riaz,
>
> On Aug 2, 2012, at 12:07 PM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1. There is a double standard when it comes to technical accuracy.
> Oh? Details?

You mean you did not follow the debates as to whether there can be other
roots? Karl Auerbach is fabulous on this at his cavebear archive.
Mueller also has some interesting stuff.

>> 2. Technical information should not be conflated with socio-political issues - such as legitimacy over the role of ICANN in CIR. This conflation is as abominable as inaccuracies in technical information.
> I think I agree that technical information should not be conflated with socio-political issues, but to be honest, I'm not sure what that means in this context.
Legitimacy of ICANN should not be conflated with its "effectiveness".

>> 3. IMHO Much of the technical community on this list stands in opposition to issues of legitimacy (basically on the principle - if ain't broke don't fix it - which explains why this list in particular "misconstrued" the Chinese position on Enhanced Cooperation).
> I would be surprised if this were true.  From my personal perspective it isn't so much "if it ain't broke don't fix it" than "let's see the details of an alternative to ensure it doesn't make things worse."

Which in politics is much the same thing. As I said previously the
responsiveness of ICANN to "legitimacy' complaints has been far greater
than some ICANN "hacks" have been will to admit on this list. Curran is
much more balanced and fair here and argues for an evolutionary
perspective. Perhaps Parminer (who is often the butt of these kinds of
things) may have more details.

> However, my question was more along the lines of how can the 'technical community' more effectively communicate to policy makers, not what should be communicated.
Unfortunately "disinterested" engagement on this list is difficult. See
posts under this subject header related to anti-Internet propaganda...