[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Aug 2 12:48:33 EDT 2012

On Aug 2, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> Happy to write something, especially if it starts to dispel the needless confusion between (eg) Root servers and Route servers.

Err.  Traffic doesn't flow through route servers either (:-)).

While writing yet another document aimed at policy makers explaining the role of the root servers would undoubtedly be beneficial (and I'd be happy to contribute), the fact that the demonstrated level of misunderstanding currently exists despite the Indian GAC rep being an advisor to the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology may suggest there are larger issues here.

I guess the real question I'm asking is how can the 'technical community' most effectively communicate the underlying realities of the Internet to policy makers? Is writing briefs the best way or are there other approaches that would increase the likelihood that policy makers would actually understand what it is they are attempting to create policy for?

Regards,
-drc