[governance] Global Pharma Calls On ICANN To Act Against Online Counterfeits

Fahd A. Batayneh fahd.batayneh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 08:22:34 EDT 2012

One of the most heated debates within ICANN is related to WhoIS accuracy.
The debate has been gaining momentum for quite sometime, and many community
members are pointing fingers at ICANN for not enforcing the terms of the
Registry-Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RRA) in providing accurate and
up-to-date WhoIS entries. Those who violate the agreement terms must be
warned and then punished if not responding, but ICANN is doing nothing
about that. Recent statistics show that 22% of WhoIS data is updated.

Thus, I can see the article from a perspective where the Pharmaceutical
industry can rely - partially - on accurate WhoIS information to track down
domain names in violation to this industry.

IMO, it will remain a pending debate for a long time.

Fahd