[governance] Updates [General IGC Business]

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun Apr 29 21:38:36 EDT 2012

On 30/04/2012, at 12:34 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

> It is too bad that we were never able to get off the dime on Nomcom reforms as proposed by Jeremy, in this case, the one yearly nomcom to do all nomcomish activities, then it would be possible to come up with representatives for a all sort of maybe worthwhile activities.  Especially with the difficulty we are having in even creating a single function nomcom to replace the appeals team i am allegedly a members of (hence my not having volunteered).

On this point, the proposed reforms that our small working group came up with were never posted to the main list because things were going on at the time and it was felt to be a distraction, but I should post them now (even if they are distraction, at least we can come back to them later).

Here are the suggestions - just to underline that these don't have any status; they are just proposals from a few IGC members to the rest of the IGC:

Under "Selection of Coordinators", regarding when elections are held, change "by midsummer (the summer solstice) to "within 15 months of the previous election".  Also in "If events prevent an election by midsummer, it will be held as soon after midsummer as possible," change the word "midsummer" to "then" in both places.

For the issue of membership, there are two alternatives:

Under "Amendments to the Charter", change "The membership requirements for amending the charter are based on the most currently available voters list. In amending the charter, everyone who voted in the previous election will be deemed a member for amending the charter." to "The membership requirements for amending the charter are those who self-identified as members of the IGC during the last preceding voting process, though they need not have gone on to cast a vote."
or
Under "Membership" add "List subscribers may self-identify as members of the IGC upon subscription, and may self-identify or rescind their self-identification or at any later time, at the IGC's website.  Their affirmation will lapse unless renewed at each successive coordinator election at which the member is eligible to vote".  Under "Amendments to the Charter", change "The membership requirements for amending the charter are based on the most currently available voters list. In amending the charter, everyone who voted in the previous election will be deemed a member for amending the charter." to "The membership requirements for amending the charter are those who have self-identified as members of the IGC."

The first of these is the most minimal amendment possible to address the main problems with the definition of membership; ie. voting in the previous election will not be a prerequisite of voting on charter amendments, but instead you must have self-identified as an IGC member during the last election, which may have been up to a year ago.  The second proposal goes further - it would require some technical changes to our website and membership database, but it may be preferable because people won't have to wait until the next year in order to become full members.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy and Project Officer

Follow @ConsumersInt

Like us at www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.