[governance] New MAG announced

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Sat Apr 28 09:11:40 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Thank you for the very rich discussion about how to establish and
improve linkages between CS MAG members and Civil Society at large,
including, but not limited to, in my opinion, IGC.

Thee is online archive of (closed) MAG-only mailing list, with manual
filtering. I have not read them much, though.

Within the Chatham House Rule, I will try to share the MAG works.
Yet maybe reporting is less of a problem than bringing CS input into
MAG process effectively and timely, I feel.

For this, I think  CS MAG members nominated by IGC should work
together, as much as possible, but with good diversity of views and
and division of labor as well.

I don't think IGC should claim to be the sole representative or
channel of civil society to MAG. While I can ask other CS MAG members
to subscribe to our list, making it sounds like compulsory is not a
good idea. This does not mean that IGC nominated MAG members should
isolate from other CS MAG members, at all, but rather a broader
cooperation is of course important, too.

MAG members are now tasked to evaluate all Workshop proposals by May 7
and that be collated by the secretariat for the basis of the final
selection of Workshops.
Here, I think, MAG member should act on their own, not bringing too
much "interest" of constituency directly to the review, but on the
other hand, we have to be faithful to the values we subscribe to. A
balanced approach is really needed.

izumi

2012/4/28 Katitza Rodriguez <katitza at eff.org>:
> Hi Roland,
>
> I have no strong opinions in one way or another re: reporting. It could be
> everyone (it could be one).  Most of the hard word is done online.. in
> mailing list....I think Marilia explained clear some of the challenges not
> only to report but also to gather feedback that was actually useful in the
> right moment. I think now, we have more civil society in the MAG who have
> recently committed to actually do the work, and divided the tasks (reporting
> AND doing the work) both are important.
>

> On 4/27/12 7:19 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
>>

>>> Usually, you do so in other processes.  Also I said that because there
>>> might be people from civil society who might not be in the list or at least
>>> I havent read an email from them).
>>

>> This goes back to the question of whether the Civil Society members of the
>> MAG are representative of [only] the IGC, or of a wider Civil Society
>> movement. As far as I can see, only three of the seven IGC nominees were
>> selected, so perhaps there's "life outside the IGC" as well?
>
> Definitely yes. This is not my opinion, I just sharing what I think it have
> never been addressed.
>
> Katitza

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

                        >> Izumi Aizu <<