[governance] New MAG announced

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Fri Apr 27 07:53:17 EDT 2012

Yes, I'm also very happy with CS representation!!!. I feel very
comfortable with the current representatives, especially our reps from
Latin America : ) Congratulations all!!

I  do like the fact that we had a significant rotation. It is really
healthy to have this type of rotations in these structures to avoid
power-grab. In this sense, it would be important to understand the
reasoning of why the IGF Secretariat and UN NY decided to rotate less
persons from the 2006 original MAG members list. It does not make sense
to me but may be there are a good argument out there. It would be good
to identify who are those persons (at least for curiosity). It might
help us understand the reasoning behind that decision.

I also find interesting to see Wendy Seltzer, while representing the
tech community? (or new job) ?, she is definitely a crucial player on
privacy/law enforcement/civil liberties and copyright issues. This is
quite important because there are new representatives for both NGOS
working on computer crime (not civil liberties) and new representatives
from the copyright holders lobbyist. It might make the MAG's work more fun.

As per me, it was my pleasure to work with the MAG. As explained to some
of you, I decided to stop participating in the MAG (my reason for not
running again, etc) was more focused on the role we want EFF to play in
the MAG as an outsider rather than insider within the MAG. However, I
did my best to make sure civil liberties are well covered in the SOP
session and others sessions whenever possible in my last 3 years. I
enjoyed working with my MAG civil society peers and to gain a good
understanding of how the system works from the inside. With this
knowledge, I hope to be more active from the outside, blogging and
raising awareness of the issues that we would like to bring to the IGF.

If you allow me to make some suggestions: Civil society MAG members
should *try* ensure that the judgments of the MAG from other stakeholder
groups are objectives. In the past, discussions were held in small
working groups and you were able to learn the thoughts of others
(especially when they suggest a merger or
that a workshop does not comply with a certain requirements).  It is
important for our civil society MAG members to ensure that workshops
that comply  with the requirements published on the IGF site and bring a
controversial topic to the debate are being approved (and try to ensure
that any suggested merger make sense and it is not used to water down
the controversial discussion). There will be always arguments from both
side so you might need to take a position.

Any assessment of the workshops should focuses only on those rules that
are published online (and avoid having the MAG creating new rules that
people who are not MAG members not are in Geneva) will know. The MAG
shouldn't applied rules that are not public on the website (of course,
there might be exceptions but I can't think of anything right now).

I'll be in Geneva for the WSIS meeting and will go to the open
consultation. I'll love to transfer some tips to those civil society mag
members.

All the best,

Katitza

On 4/27/12 1:07 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Thanks Parminder.  It should be noted that in addition to these IGC
> types there are others on the new MAG who could be counted as CS as
> well, certainly in viewpoint and arguably in employment.  Overall, I'd
> think the mix is pretty good with respect to advocating the sorts of
> priorities that have enjoyed rough consensus here.
>
> Best,
>
> Bill
>
> On Apr 27, 2012, at 10:55 AM, parminder wrote:
>
>> Congratulations to Izumi, Anriette, Bill and Vladi.
>>
>> Together with Graciela, Valeria and Qusai, they form a good team.
>>

>> Parminder
>>
>> On Thursday 26 April 2012 03:04 AM, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> The Rotated MAG has been announced by the UN / IGF Secretariat.
>>>
>>> A UN press release for the renewed MAG has been issued and is
>>> available at :http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs//2012/pi2025.doc.htm
>>>
>>> List of MAG
>>> http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/component/content/article/114-preparatory-process/941-mag-2012-
>>>
>>> I congratulate all the IGC Members that have been selected to the MAG.
>>> It was indeed a pleasure to have served on the MAG and been nominated
>>> by IGC for this important role. I look forward to contribute and
>>> support the new MAG members.
>>>
>>> Take care all!

>> http://www.igcaucus.org/

Katitza Rodriguez
International Rights Director
Electronic Frontier Foundation
katitza at eff.org
katitza at datos-personales.org (personal email)

Please support EFF - Working to protect your digital rights and freedom of speech since 1990