[governance] Asia Pacific regional IGF - Tokyo, July

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Apr 25 05:49:38 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 25 April 2012 03:05 PM, parminder wrote:
> snip
>
> In general, as you know, I am quite against policy dialogue forums
> (which I understand this meeting is supposed to be, taking from the UN
> IGF) being organised primarily by the business sector, especially when
> such a forum claims a monopoly and therefore authoritative position,

I am sure that many of you will know of the famous words of Adam Smith,
the father of free market thinking, about the relationship between
business and policy making. In any case,  I will forward them since they
seem so germane to the larger issue of my email.

(Personally, I would not have been able to use the kind of strong words
that Adam Smith uses, but he is an acknowledged master and who am I to
stand between his words and you :) )

Quoting Adam Smith

        People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for
        merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a
        conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise
        prices.... But though the law cannot hinder people of the same
        trade from sometimes assembling together, it ought to do nothing
        to facilitate such assemblies, much less to render them
        necessary. (Adam Smith)

Another one,

        To widen the market and to narrow the competition, is always the
        interest of the dealers...The proposal of any new law or
        regulation of commerce which comes from this order, ought always
        to be listened to with great precaution, and ought never to be
        adopted till after having been long and carefully examined, not
        only with the most scrupulous, but with the most suspicious
        attention. It comes from an order of men, whose interest is
        never exactly the same with that of the public, who have
        generally an interest to deceive and even oppress the public,
        and who accordingly have, upon many occasions, both deceived and
        oppressed it. (Adam Smith)