[governance] ITU Broadband Commission

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Apr 8 22:18:26 EDT 2012

The original issue in this discussion was whether conflict of interest
is an important principle to ensure and fight for with regard to public
policy and governance systems. MS-ism (multistakeholderism)  seeks to
avoid this question - and that is what I see in John Curran's response,
diverting the issue towards a 'we should participate in any case'
discussion. This avoidance is because MS-ism at its heart is based on an
inversion of the long held sacrosanct democratic principle that if one
has a clear private interest in an outcome of a policy/ governance
system, he/she should not be a part of the 'high echelons' of the
system.  A stakeholder after all is basically one with direct 'narrow'
private interest or stake in a policy outcome. There is no attempt at
achieving of a higher, no doubt politically constructed, public
interest. MSism seeks a patch work of accommodating private interests,
with the involved actors at the policy table legitimately pursuing their
narrow private interests. Obviously, the most powerful are most able to
be present and drive their agenda (there being no 'conflict of interest'
related norm) ...... Additionally, MSism, by its convenient ploy of the
'need for consensus', also by its very nature lead to status quoist,
conservative politics.

Traditional democratic norms and systems were built, for instance,  to
keep powerful businesses from directly shaping political decisions. That
of course is seen as 'the' problem by neolibs. MS-ism as a political
system is their clever answer to the problem. In order to co-opt civil
society, and overall present a more acceptable image, MSism seeks to
take up the vocabulary, and outwardly the concerns, of the long standing
demand and struggles for participatory democracy, deepening democracy
etc.... Some civil society people have considered it a useful tactical
move to go along with this much more powerful global move towards MS-ism
(especially when participatory/ deepening democracy etc have not had
that much success).

My view is that at this junction we need to review - is it that we were
able to co-opt the power of the global capital to open up more
participatory space, or, whether, we have got co-opted in the big
business and neolib plan to supplant democracy.

parminder