[governance] ITU Broadband Commission

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Apr 4 07:46:15 EDT 2012

John,

Thanks for your engagement. However, as you suspected, your assertions
are indeed controversial/  problematic.

Your advice is not to go into formal aspects of a governance/ policy
mechanism but only focus on the output side. I would come to the output
side but lets first deal with the importance of formal aspects. To those
who protested against Mubarak's regime, would you have advised that
instead of fighting for democracy against authoritarianism, they should
look at and argue by the work and outputs of regime, and not its formal
qualities. It is, for instance, possible to argue that Mubarak may have
kept a tighter leash on fundamentalist groups than the emerging
democracy seems to be able to keep......

Closer home, since apparently you believe in multistakeholderism, would
you agree to a governance system that is not open, participative,
transparent etc although it seem not to have any particularly
disagreeable output? In fact, the IG civil society - including the IGC -
seems to spend so much time on just the issue of multistakeholderism
that some of us would want it to get more directly into substantive issues.

  So, the question is, why does impatience with formal aspects of
governance/ policy regimes show only when democratic forms, values and
norms are being spoken of - like conflict of interest, keeping powerful
private interests out of policy making etc.

Do you really think that it is  a good/ acceptable idea to have telecoms
dominate a policy body on telecom? Would you accept it in your own
country? Would your compatriots accept it in your country? On the same
logic, would you accept a health policy body dominated by pharma
companies - at your country level, and at the WHO? Simple direct
questions going very much to the heart of the issue which I hope you
will answer.

parminder