[governance] ITU Broadband Commission

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Apr 3 05:20:33 EDT 2012

Of the eight new members 6 are from telecoms and related companies. And
of course the commission itself is headed by a telecom moghul who owns
most of the telecom infrastructurea of a large developing country. So
telecom companies will now give us our telecom policies! But who are we,
of the IG civil society, to protest. We have always allowed global
companies to lead policy shaping and making in the Internet space, we
only want to somehow keep governments out.

In US, we allowed google to lead the net neutrality movement and then
one day when they made a business interest based compromise with the
telecoms and together presented the NN policy draft to the government,
which it took on as the policy framework, civil society was left looking
hapless and stupid. But we have hardly learnt our lessons.

Right now, in the IGF MAG, the 'global policy dialogue' on 'security,
privacy and openness' is being shaped by a WG led by Verizon, that on
CIRs by another US corporation, and on access and diversity by
International Chamber of Commerce. At the other end of the IG specturm,
in the IETF too, more and more, technical standards are largely shaped
by staffers of tech corporates, in the name of open MS processes.

Many people take IG's multistakeholderism, as it is practised, to be but
a trojan horse for mega corporates to enter and dominate policy spaces,
and their perception may not be entirely misplaced. Civil society needs
to do more to dispel this impression, but sadly it doesnt...