[governance] StratforLeaks: Google Ideas Director Involved in ‘Regime Change’

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Apr 2 12:42:57 EDT 2012

http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/stratforleaks-google-ideas-director-involved-%E2%80%98regime-change%E2%80%99

This is a most astonishing piece of news forwarded by Riaz, even for
someone like me who has a natural suspicion of Internet powers (as of
all powers)..... Google actually has an almost official 'regime change'
agenda which works closely with the more famous US 'regime change'
proclivities.

Following this news item I did some, well, sorry to say, 'googling' to
find another new item where google chief (or, ex chief) proffers that
the 'Iranian bomb' was perhaps an issue they, meaning google, can take
up. (No today isnt April 1st.)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/b8e8b560-a84a-11e0-9f50-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1oMmNLULH

Some questions are being raised about such activity by Google, but,
interesting, mostly about what if is works "in conflict with the foreign
policy of the US". Amusing! Of course only the rich can afford to
discuss security and foreign policy concerns; the less fortunate should
take what is served to them.

      "Joseph Nye, the Harvard professor who coined the phrase “soft
    power”, told The Washington Post in the lead-up to the Dublin
    meeting that Google’s entry into the arena “could be problematic –
    especially if it is perceived to be in conflict with the foreign
    policy of the United States” "

Earlier, there has been this news about an understanding of the US
National Security Agency with Google at

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2012/03/doj-asks-court-to-keep-secret-any-partnership-between-google-nsa.html

US gov seem to have similar arrangements with other Internet biggies
like Facebook, Twitter etc, which gives it privileged access to
information held by them, and other kinds of leveraged that can be
exercised by them. This is hardly surprising since these are all US
companies and they need to comply with the requirements of US law, and
cooperate with US gov on furthering US interests.

And still many people want developing countries to not have any security
concerns vis a vis the unipolar control of the US over much of the core
of the Internet, whether in form of CIRs or the 'operations room' of the
major Internet companies that together constitute most of the Internet
today. This position is difficult to sell to even the most well meaning
developing country government guy. And why only government, also to a
southern civil society person, because security relates to real people
and stark issues of their lives. (Think Afghanistan vis a vis big powers
driving arbitrary regime changes!)

Parminder