AW: [governance] CS letter to UNGA

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 15:43:20 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Wolfgang, Matthias,
>
> 2011/9/27 "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
> wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>
>
>> good idea
>>

> # There is a problem.  The draft resolution is already an indication that
> Governments could use the "rights-based" approach to their advantage:
>
> # The document refers to "Sovereign rights of states" "which have rights
> and responsibilities for international, internet related public policy
> issues"
>
> "The purpose and scope of this document is to identify the rights and
> responsibilities of States in information space"
>
> "(c) to reaffirm all the rights and responsibilities of States to protect"
>
> # The letter could include a passage on rights, but the unintended outcome
> would be that of this becoming an argument on Sovereign Rights Vs the Rights
> of the common man which would be rather difficult to resolve and distract
> this initiative away from its essence of a protest against the language
> towards multi-lateralism.
>
> Sivasubramanian M

We should absolutely raise a stink about multilateralism.

My issue with the letter is that we seem to let them set the agenda.  What
is important about the Internet is not that it is a "bad neighboorhood" but
the possibilities of innovation that stems from the openness inherent in the
architecture.

In other words, we shouldn't let them use the "hook" of cybersecurity to get
their grubby inter-governmental hands on the Internet, which belongs to
all.  We should tell them (politely of course) to sod off.

--
Cheers,

McTim