[governance] Our plan on China-Russia-Tajikistan-Uzbekistan Proposal - Code of Conduct to UN SG

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 07:02:40 EDT 2011

Dear Izumi and All,
Over the last couple of days I have heard repeated several times in news
broadcasts the fundamental difficulty of finding a state by state solution
to a global financial problem. This is the first time that I have heard the
idea stated clearly and transparently, although for years it has been a
sub-text, referred to indirectly, in discussions of economics.

Like finance, information is now a global issue. Is there a way to bring
that statement to the surface of the discussion? The word "catalyst" makes
me very happy because it immediately shifts the focus from the technology to
the information and the people while still maintaining the importance of the
technology. And the catalyst works at a "people and information" level, not
a state by state level.

i don't know how we could state absolutely clearly and unequivocally the
interdependence of things - not because we say so, but because it is?

Deirdre

On 27 September 2011 04:57, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Here attached is the draft proposal made by
> China-Russia-Tajikistan-Uzbekistan to UN GA.
>
> We plan to write a Draft IGC statement on this subject, following the
> discussion we had
> last night here in Nairobi. Jeremy will first send the minutes of our
> meeting, then work on the draft together with me and send it to the
> list asap.
>
> Our idea is, to agree on the draft very quickly as part of our Closing
> Statement here at IGF, we may ask you to comment within 24 hours, not
> the usual 48, and if there
> seems little objection in the end, we will read out at the closing
> ceremony.
> This statement will be rather short and concise. Since I have to leave
> Nairobi before the Closing session on Friday, I propose Jeremy as our
> speaker.
>
> At the same time we like to start an open Working Group, taking this draft
> as a
> first step, and will continue the work to expand it into more structured,
> or matured document aiming the eG20 meeting to be held on Oct 21 in
> Paris and other similar venue of strategic importance. For that, we also
> like
> to invite or collaborate with other like-minded groups and organizations
> to make it more of a joint statement of principles rather than IGC solo.
>
> These are our proposal. Of course open to all of your comments and
> suggestions.
>
> Jeremy and Izumi
>
> ---------------
> Letter dated 12 September 2011 from the Permanent Representatives of
> China, the Russian Federation, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan to the United
> Nations addressed to the Secretary-General
>
> [Preamble:]
>
> Recent years have witnessed the considerable progress achieved in
> developing and applying the latest information and telecommunication
> technologies, which could potentially be used for purposes that are
> inconsistent with the objectives of maintaining international
> stability and security. It is of great significance that the common
> challenges in the sphere of information security should be dealt with
> through international cooperation and in the spirit of mutual respect.
> To that end, China, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan have jointly
> elaborated in the form of a potential General Assembly resolution on
> an international code of conduct for information security and call for
> international deliberations within the United Nations framework on
> such an international code, with the aim of achieving the earliest
> possible consensus on international norms and rules guiding the
> behaviour of States in the information space (see annex).

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979