SV: [governance] regulating global digital monopolies

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Fri Sep 23 04:46:58 EDT 2011

Parminder:
Can a small country in Africa or Asia do such an inquiry against google today?

Wolfgang:
Germany is certainly not a "small country" but a good example how "global" and "local" works together. When the Germans protested against Google Street View in 2010, Google changed its policies according to the German wishes and made clear that it respects national law. I can not see that Google will ignore a law in Kenya or Botswana just to squeeze our more business from those countries. BTW that is one reason why I proposed in the CSTD IGF Improvement Working Group to enhance the IGF, inter alia, towards a "watchdog". If something goes wrong, the IGF can ring the alarm bells and moblize the broader public (including governments) to stop unfair or illegal activities by large corporations or undemocratic governments.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org