[governance] Nairobi on the ground advice for IGF goers

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 18:19:44 EDT 2011

Dear IGF goers!

My friends and colleagues that have already reached Nairobi are
already sharing some good amounts of information!

Those that have already visited the venue share that UN Center, UNON
is out of the center of Nairobi, but it is not as far as some of the
distances mentioned on the host country website
<http://igf.or.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=30>
under the Accommodation section.

As I was also taking information about the distances from the website
and asking around but it seems it may be shorter than the idea I was
getting. Here's a map showing where UNON is <http://g.co/maps/tkqfd>
Distance from most of the downtown hotels  is 5-8km.

Taxi should cost less that KSH1,000 (ask before you get in, and you
can haggle a bit.)  In rush hour it can take a long time to travel
even the short distance. No rush hour, 15-20 minutes. The UNON main
entrance is opposite the US Embassy, but taxi drivers know this.

My colleage says that one should come and get their badge as soon as
they can because shuttles don't operate until the IGF starts. One can
expect to pay less that KSH1000 (but probably less, 600-800 depending
on where from).

So far the comments are that people should get their badges early,
over the weekend or as soon as they arrive after the 23rd.  That taxis
from most hotels should not be too expensive, and out of rush-hour
(e.g. 10am) will be quite quick.

Always tell the taxi driver if they ask for 30 USD (this has happened
with me last year during the ICANN meeting) or more that you will pay
only 600 or 800 depending on where you are as your local friend told
you this and you should be fine!!!

If you are already there, do share some advice or suggestions!!!

It would be nice if our members share where they are staying and what
they are paying per night!!!

--
Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org