[governance] IGF improvements: Forwards or Backwards?

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sun Oct 30 06:44:55 EDT 2011

Hi everybody

I will give my specific and detailed analysis of the Indian proposal a little bit later but for now it seems to be that it is important to clarify what the final objective is when we enter into a new round of interlinked and interrelated global discussion and negotiations and meet next week for the IGF Improvement WG CSTD meeting in Geneva.

Do we want to move towards an improved multistakeholder PROCESS or do we plan to build a new multigovernmental STRUCTURE.

The debate about multilateralism vs. multistakeholderism in Nairobi was very enlightening. My argument was that the multilateral intergovernmental treaty system will be more and more embedded into a multistakeholder environment where the interactive dialog among the stakeholders leads to a common understanding which can produce a (multistakeholder) "Framework of Commitments" instead of a (intergovermental) "Framework Convention".

The question for the future of the IGF is whether it will provide a space also for governments to give their input into a multistakeholder process or whether the IGF itself should become a place which produces input into an intergovernmental process.

If the role of the IGF would be reduced to give input into an intergovernmental body we would be back in 2002 when the WSIS started with exactly the same structure. We had an "Intergovernmental WSIS Bureau" and two "Non-governmental Stakeholder WSIS Bureaus" which were invited to give "input" into the intergovernmental negotiations.

The result is known. When the "Civil Society WSIS Bureau" gave 96 recommendations to the 1st draft tabled by the "Intergovernmental WSIS Bureau" in September 2003, only three Civil Society proposals were reflected in the 2nd draft of the intergovernmental declaration in October 2003. When CS protested and labeled the governmental behaviour as "ignorant" and "arrogant", WSIS president Sammassekou, who told civil society in early September 2003 that we should move from "input" to "impcat" and from "turmoil" to "trust" in the relationship between governments and civil society, maneuvered and explained to the WSIS Civil Society Bureau that this is the nature of the intergovernmental process. Nobody would get everything.

However, the feeling of "ignorance" of civil society input into an intergovernmental process could not be wished away. This pushed civil society into a position to consider to leave the whole WSIS and to organize an alternative process. I remember the meeting with the Swiss President where he tried to convince civil society that it would make sense to "stay within the process" and not to march through the streets of Geneva. He signaled understanding for the frustration of the civil society and refered to the fact that such an innovation in global policy making as the multistakeholder approach would need some times for all stakeholders to get a better understanding what this means in reality. I remember also the press conference in Geneva in October 2003 with hundreds of journalists who wanted to see the walk our of civil society and the collapse of WSIS.

The "alternative process" which was finally accepted by the 500+ civil society organisations after several night sessions was to stay  and to organize the alternative "WITHIN" the WSIS process. The result was the "Civil Society WSIS Declaration" which was handed over to the President of the WSIS (intergovernmental) summit. The comments in December 2003 were that the intergovernmental document formulated what "could be done" while the CS Declaration said what "should be done". It is worth to re-read the civil society Geneva Declaration from December 2003.

As an outcome of this "parallel process" the WGIG, which was established after the Geneva Summit as a truly multistakeholder body where governmental and non-governmental members had the same speaking and drafting rights. WGIG produced the "Internet Governance  definition" where it linked the stakeholders into a common process with no stakeholder in the "leadership position" ("shared decison making procedures" and "respective roles".) This definition was adopted by the heads of states of 160+ governments, including the governments of Brazil, India, China and Russia.

To go back to 2002 for an IGF, which is now confronted with the challenges of the year 2020, would be the wrong u-turn. I hope that the civil society members of the IGF working group will remember history, can make this clear to governments and other members of the group and come with better "improvement proposals" into the meeting next Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

Wolfgang