[governance] FW: [IP] India proposes UN "takeover" of Internet

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 03:43:01 EDT 2011

Jeremy,

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
<snip>

> So even if the CIRP was purely intergovernmental, we might still expect that
> its policies may be "somewhat less bad than the status quo". But because of
> its multi-stakeholder

It is multi-lateral in that only nation states get to decide.

 character, we can hope for much more: that civil
> society will finally have a and positive real impact on policies such as
> those that are being developed right now, outside of any transnational
> multi-stakeholder framework, that are destroying the Internet as we know it.
>
> * http://jere.my/l/1t

I think you are being naive when you write:

"The Indian proposal, on the other hand, could at least democratise
these decisions to some degree. If a UN Committee for Internet-Related
Policies, adequately linked to multi-stakeholder public sphere, were
able to set global norms for the Internet in an adequately open and
inclusive manner, then neither the US government, corrupted by
big-pocketed IP rights-holders, nor repressive governments such as
China, would be able to regulate the Internet in isolation from these
norms."

As the USG or any gov't will want to continue to be sovereign re: it's
own internal laws and regulations.  I don't see gov'ts lining up to
sign a treaty that will limit their ability to make laws re; Internet
in their own territories.

--
Cheers,

McTim