[governance] India Proposes Government Controlled Internet

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Fri Oct 28 07:44:59 EDT 2011

Good point, Jeremy. I quote Kieren McCarthy's phrase on the CIRP proposal:

"In a nod to the multi-stakeholder model of decision-making that
currently defines much of the Internet’s processes - and where all
actors from business to academia to the technical community and
governments are given equal say in decisions - the Indian proposal
foresees the creation of four “Advisory Groups” that would represent
civil society, the private sector, inter-governmental and international
organizations, and the technical and academic community."

Now, think of this "equal say in decisions" when we are confronted, for
example, by the antipiracy legislation (just introduced in US Congress
by the IPR lobbies) which will quite probably turn into law soon --
powerful interests such as these are far more "equal" than others... A
blunt case of unilateral intervention by a single government affecting
the entire Internet (as we are not naive to think that this will be
contained within the USA borders). And we have nothing to confront this
on a world scale except the "dialogues" of the IGF, which is nothing.

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org