[governance] India Proposes Government Controlled Internet

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Oct 28 02:15:51 EDT 2011

On 28/10/11 13:17, Sivasubramanian M wrote:
> This is from Kieren MacCarthy's article:

Better to go to the source, for more details and less hyperbole - such
as the fact that India is requesting a working group of the CSTD to draw
up the detailed terms of the proposed new body.  If Brazil and South
Africa do come on board, then this is exactly what we have been waiting
to respond to in depth.  Rather than simply issuing shrill cries about
"the UN taking over the Internet", and whether we ultimately decide to
oppose this proposal outright or to engage with and improve it, we will
need to contribute constructively through this (hopefully
multi-stakeholder) CSTD working group, always bearing in mind that the
alternative is the status quo.

See http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2011/gaef3319.doc.htm.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator*

Consumers International (CI) is the world federation of consumer groups
that, working together with its members, serves as the only independent
and authoritative global voice for consumers. With over 220 member
organisations in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
_www.consumersinternational.org <http://www.consumersinternational.org/>_
_Twitter @ConsumersInt <http://twitter.com/Consumers_Int>_

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't