[governance] IANA contract to be opened for competitive bidding on November 4

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Oct 26 07:39:59 EDT 2011

Hi Ian,

On 10/26/2011 09:02 AM, Daniel Kalchev wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2011, at 00:31 , Ian Peter wrote:
[...]
> Involving governments in the management of Internet is one of the
> worst ideas, ever.

Depends on what management of which aspect -- as you have said already,
the Internet is too many layers, instances and transborder interactions
at various levels which is too complex and diverse for us to say
"nothing of this will have the gov hand in any way". So let us always
qualify when we say this.

Secondly, it keeps bothering me how the so-called "technical community"
(as you know, I use quotes because I find it hard in many fora to
dissociate it from business interests) keeps parroting the "hands off
Icann" motto while the same community seems quite comfortable with
direct control of the USG over the IANA function.

[] fraterno

--c.a.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org